Friday, December 11, 2009

.:Baby, I'm broke. Got to go out to the street and get it if I can:.

Austin, how I love thee! I am sitting at Progress Coffee editing photos from a wedding I shot in October. For a few hours, my friends Glen and Leslie were here. They actually kind of talked me into becoming a wedding photographer. I will consider giving it some serious thought. The options are seeming a lot more in my favor. Anyway, I overheard a model talking about her modeling and styling experience. She said that she moved to Austin on a whim, and it made me think for a second about how Austin just does that for people.

I have met more people in this town who moved here for no concrete reason. Often, I am met with the response, "Oh, it just seemed like a cool place so I packed up and moved here!" when I ask them why Austin. I loved that question before I moved - Why Austin? My reply was always, "Why not?!"

So, in Austin, we have so many attractions that seem really "out there." I'm talking about the statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn, our various full body themed tattoo persons (my personal favorite is Katzen the Tiger Lady), many music festivals (the music scene in general) and other festivals such as Eeyore's birthday and Marley Fest (both are more or less for the celebration of all things cannabis), the bat bridge that houses the largest urban population of Mexican bats, and 6th Street - the home of bars galore, complete with frat boys and sorority girls PDA-ing left and right. It's great! Those are just a few examples of what makes Austin what it is. It's an increasingly environmentally-friendly place to live, anyone could live here peacefully (except for maybe George W. Bush), and all things go here, as long as it isn't harmful. I feel like it's a fun, groovy, musical, artsy, free place to live. I identify with Austin very much.

In addition to all of this goodness, I would like to say that on many occasions, Gina and I have seen/heard/experienced something where we just kind of laugh, look at each other, and say, "Did that just happen?!" Then we say, "Only in Austin!" It's pretty wonderful! I saw a man dressed like Batman walking down a somewhat not prominent street in the middle of the day. Actually, it was raining a little bit, which made it extra exciting. After I first moved here, I saw a lady throwing huge flower petals on the highway in front of a plant store. She had the biggest smile on her face and I couldn't help but return the expression. There have been so many more instances where I just laughed and carried the memory with me, being grateful that I live in a really funny city where the people don't always take themselves so seriously. (Including the lady who has duck taped her tailgate to read "Don't move here!" Good times.)

Oh, and have I mentioned that the food is pretty good? It is. Trust me.

All of that to say, I encourage you to visit me! Come now, come later - just get your ass over to Austin so you can see for yourself why it's a super awesome place to be.

No comments: