Monday, February 23, 2009

.:We've got to stand up if we're gonna be free:.

I can't help but realize how privileged I am more and more each day. I take it for granted, and understand that every time something major happens. This week, I started teaching. The first day was really horrible, but it got better throughout the week. Then, the city found a massive leak in my house and turned our water off. Our water has yet to be turned back on again. I was really angry for a few days about various things, the aforementioned included, but in evaluating the reality of the situation, I really have nothing to complain about.

Yesterday, Gideon was hinting at the idea that oftentimes we feel that we need respect and admiration, and I think that was one of my biggest issues this week. Whether it was from friends, the guys with Vox, in my classroom, or anywhere else, because of my frustrations, I was almost convinced that maybe Austin isn't the place for me right now. Really, I was just being selfish that the world wasn't revolving around me, that people actually have other things they need to do instead of focus their efforts on whatever I need, and that sometimes, your friends really want to hang out with someone else. My self-absorbed utopia got crunched a bit, and that's how I learn the most. Austin is the place for me - I see this every day - and I'm almost embarrassed that I was bawling my eyes out like a baby to one of my good friends and blatantly disregarding the fact that I was, essentially, using her to make my life better.

I've also realized how I abuse my privileges when it comes to water. Having water is way more important than I had ever fathomed it would be. I think I will definitely make a more conscious effort to preserve what I have once it gets turned back on.

So, once I stopped feeling sorry for myself, I turned all of the little things I have to do to get by these days into positives. For example, I love using my Zoopals Funtensils in the morning in place of regular silverware. This morning, I ate with an elephant and a flamingo! It was totally great. Also, I'm getting a tour of my friends' showers these days. Paul and Larina have a really cool shower, Hannah and Gina's could potentially wash off a tattoo, and Rachel and Wey have the cutest shower curtain! People have offered me so much, and I'm grateful for these people in my life who do help take care of me. When I get water back, I am definitely baking some cookies!

1 comment:

The Lazy Editor said...

Sorry about the mold on the inside curtain. We really need to replace that thing...