Tuesday, November 4, 2008

.:The funny thing about money for sex - you might get rich but you die by it:.

SavannahRed is getting political.

Ok, I'll explain why I voted for Obama. I don't talk about politics very much, even when entered into a conversation about it (Gina can attest to that), but I'm ready to explain a little bit as to why I chose him. I won't cover all of his issues because I don't know all of them, honestly, but these are important to me and his choices fit. These are in no particular order.

1) Abortion. I'm pro-choice because I feel like a woman should have the choice to make the very painful decision (most of the time, it is the most painful decision they have ever made and they live with that for the rest of their lives) of whether or not to keep her fetus. I feel that it is a person's right to do what he or she wants to do to his or her body, and I feel that one person's religious views should not have an effect on another's decisions, especially if their religion (or lack thereof) is different than the other's. (Really, though, what happened to separation of church and state? Can we add "church and vagina" in there, too? Yeah. I just said the v-word.)

2) Gay Marriage. Although he isn't a supporter of gay marriage, he does support civil unions. I would prefer the former, but he has stated that he would leave it up to individual states to decide for themselves, and I feel like that's at least fair enough on his part since he doesn't completely support it anyway. He's at least letting them have a chance, in my opinion. I hope that one day, they will be able to have that freedom because, really, what does this even matter to straight people? Do they feel threatened by gay people getting married? Do they not know which side to sit on when they attend the service? What is it?! I've never understood this. I guess it could be a religious issue (and most likely is for the majority), but I think that discrimination needs to change, regardless of what could be distorted from the Bible. Yep. I said that, too.

3) Equality. This man wants us to be united again, to stand and gather together like we're brothers and sisters, to allow each other to live freely and openly, and to treat each other with respect. It's like he's our dad or something, trying to teach us how to grow up and stop hitting each other, but work together, end violence, be a peaceful group of people, and help each other. He wants us to be a community, not just a country. I ache to see this place in harmony, and I feel that he shares in that sentiment.

4) Gun control. This has always been an issue for me, and I agree that we need tighter gun control. Maybe Bobby Mallin would be alive if this had been in place about 2 years ago. It's obvious that he cares more about potentially saving lives than killing animals for fun.

5) War. All I'm going to say about this is that I woke up one morning during this campaign season and said that I will do whatever I can to prevent anyone - parents, siblings, relatives, friends, acquaintences, perfect strangers - from having to go through what I have been through since losing Nathan. No one should ever have to bear that pain, and I know his family has felt it even more so, and although they are strong supporters for McCain, I am still voting for Obama for them, too.

So, that's it in a nutshell.

No comments: